Thursday, July 23, 2026

Cyberpunk 2077 - (Almost) 6 Years Later and I Still Think...

 So, recently, I've started playing again. Okay, so I say that like I stopped for a long time or something. I'll go about three months without playing while I play either one of my regular games or another game comes out. But that's beside the point.

The point of this semi-shallow post is to once again touch on the romance options that are in the game. Now, the romances in the game aren't exceptionally deep but can be pretty good considering the leader in the romance field for RPG's (was) Bioware. And while I have already talked about the errors of the romances in Cyberpunk (the dudes basically), there were a few thoughts I'd had way back in 2020 (might as well say 2021 since the game dropped so late in the year) that revolved around some characters that I thought should have been romanceable.

Over on tumblr, I have already gone into my conspiracy theory level 100+ about why I believe Jackie & Misty were originally supposed to be the poly romance options which is why they won't be making an appearance on this list even though I do so adore Jackie. And I will be adding some Phantom Liberty characters towards the end as honorable mentions.

So, without further adieux, here are my picks for who should have been available for V to romance and why. And they aren't in any particular order either. Or are they

1. Placide


For starters, I believe that Placide was originally supposed to play a much larger role in the game than we ended up with. He was in a lot of the early promo materials and he got a lot of screen time in the original trailers. But, also, I think he would have made an awesome romance option. It would have given netrunner V's a foothold and an option to ally with the Voodoo Boys. But also, I do so love me a good enemies to lovers trope. It wouldn't even have to be that, could have been a one off like with Meredith Stout. (A much better one off, if you ask me). And it goes without saying that every single one of my picks on this list could go for any gendered V. Male, female, non-binary, doesn't matter. Consider the pronoun "V".

2. Dum Dum

Dum Dum is my "hear me out" pick. Yes, his implants are extremely off putting (in my humble opinion) but there's this underlying sweetness to the guy. Kind of like a puppy. And like Placide with the Voodoo Boys, Dum Dum would give players the option to ally with Maelstrom and go full chrome if they want. Could be a complete romance option or just a one-off. Though, I do see a full romance track being more possible with Dum Dum than Placide considering what happens with the black wall and Alt with the Voodoo Boys. There are so many opportunities for a romance track with Dum Dum, especially with Royce still in charge. 

3. Viktor Vektor


Obviously. Not only is the guy hot but he's caring and needs somebody to care for. Plus, it's got tragedy written all over it. And he's there the whole time from start to finish. Anyone who likes an age-gap romance (the legal kind please) would like this relationship. Vik might be the only decently adjusted person around and could offer V a real relationship. But, again, tragedy. Because Vik knows all too well about V's death sentence. Yeah, so, okay, the dude has to inject shit into his arm just so it'll work but like, that's a small thing in Night City.

4. Mitch Anderson


No, I'm not kidding. And yes, I know Mitch is another "old guy". But seriously, is there anyone... sweeter? I know I called Dum Dum sweet but Mitch is... change your tire on the side of the road in the pouring rain sweet. He's the guy who will fix your hot water heater without even having to be asked. He's the guy who will unclog your toilet even if he wasn't the one to do it. But, he's a Nomad. And, as Panam has already told V, he's got PTSD. So, he's a war vet. While I can't honestly say I see like a lengthy romance between V and Mitch, I can say I do see at least a hook up. Or something casual. 

5. Claire Russell 


To say that I was disappointed that Claire wasn't a legit romance option would be a huge understatement. It's all there! We've already got a damned loyalty mission and everything! I mean, seriously! Basically, in my opinion, CDPR flinched when it came to pulling the trigger on this romance option. Claire is beautiful, sweet, and badass. She is an amazing person and I can see this being one of the best romance options in the entire game, bar none. 

6. Emmerick Bronson


But there are so many dudes on your list - you might be saying. And yes, there are. Not because there aren't great female characters in the game but because the male romance options are so... lacking. The whole two that there are. But Emmerick, at least, deserves a one night stand. I mean come on. Picture it -dramatic hand wave-. Drunk V. Closing Afterlife. Stumbles out. Emmerick's right there! *chef's kiss* Perfect. And then aggressive or passive aggressive flirting after! It's perfect.

7. Joss Kutcher (Joss Ward)


Sorry, River, but your sister is hot. I could totally see Joss as a viable and amazing romance option. Another one destined to end in tragedy though with V's condition. But still. And could you just imagine the conversations with River about it? Oh! Priceless!! It would be amazing. But also - those two little kids? Oh! Be still my heart! It would be a great option. And it'd break the mold on what romance options typically are. So far, we've never seen a romance option that was a single parent with a past! (who likes to work aloneee) hehehe. 

And I mean, I could keep going, I really could but for now, I think that's enough. 

But I did say I'd mention a few from Phantom Liberty and honestly, I really only have one so me saying a few was a big fat lie. I have one character from Phantom Liberty that I wish was introduced as a romance option with the DLC. And no, It's not Idris though V should have gotten the one-off option with him. No, it's...

Alex Xenakis


I mean, if anyone deserves to get swept off their feet and have it be real and be honest - it's Alex. And! I mean it would have been so easy for them to write it in, too. We already get the amazing dance scene with her and I mean it's right there! It'd be so easy! Plus, could you imagine how that all would have played out if V was making decisions based upon that relationship? It would have been just... so much more intense and interesting! 

Well, that's all I've got for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment